• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

fatrobin

Sergeant
14 Badges
Nov 27, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Iron Cross
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
Shimla an inane First AAR

this is my first ever AAR so tips would be nice i aim to make it funny.

Shimla is a small i province nation which can be released by Great Britain and well it produces tea... this is a story about either its growth to a great power... or its destruction (i have already played 2 parts... and part 2 is where it all goes pear shaped... but then the AI gives me a second chance)

map.jpg

so due to being released from the UK we start off with some decent techs (all the ones to civilise and some others like experimental railway.

now i will state this once and only once i have and will only cheat once and that is due to released nations having exactly £0 starting money and no idea where the economy is going to go (usually from bad to worse) so i used the cash cheat once

Contents
Part 1
Part 2
part 3
part 4
part 5

Last edited:
Part 1

Part 1 - securing power and fighting those pesky politicians who steal money!

Day 1 - I've got the power!

After the Great and All mighty Britain finally read my letter asking for autonomy in Shima they after not really knowing where it is or why they wanted accepted the independence of this small tea producing region. the first thing i did in power was to encourage some of the population to become soldiers.

day1encouragesoldiers.jpg

as you can see my province does very little and the population is not bad considering that is my only region.

next up i found a horse and demanded the illiterate college of culture and war to start research on army professionalism even though I had no army.

day1APresearch.jpg

Day 2 - damn policians allways bring bad news about taxes and second homes

My financial advisor appeared wearing little but rags in the doorway to my hut (the palace was being repaired) demanding a meeting about the current economical climate. He bored me with lots of maths and showed me pieces of paper with scribbles on, i realised that he could not read or write so i just nodded and told him to get on with it.

day2.jpg

i did not realise he was putting taxes to the max just to pay himself and his mates.

day2after.jpg

the next day i heard what had happened, well i guessed when he walked in wearing silk and many jewels so i gave him the sack, but did not adjust the taxes, i wanted money because my army needed weapons, i could not invade... i mean liberate india without guns that would be suicide.

Day 14 - i would like 6000 rifles please

i thought i had accumulated plenty of money i had a couple of grand so i recruited 2 units of men to protect me and do my bidding, i promised the people that we will lower the taxes when the grand royal guard of the pink flag were recruited.

day14freshrecruits.jpg

June - people rejoice the taxes are reduced

yep you guessed it the lucky people of Shimla not only get to worship the pink flag that will unite india but now also have to pay less. however the guns cost more than expected so part of the soldiers training exercises before this glorious day was to extract money from the people who were very happy to part with their cash when a rifle pointed in their face :D.

june21st1836newbudget.jpg

September / October - The Royal Parade

In September my dream was slowly coming true as my blue shirted pink flag waving army had been created... next step is relatively simple... india :D

sept20th1836army.jpg

but first to show off to the local people again i decided to have a royal parade and invited dignitaries from all across the Indian tribes. and Tibet was very impressed with the 6000 men they saw and immediately offered me and alliance which i accepted, we were being welcomed into the scene that was Indian politics.

oct25_1836.jpg

November - Long Live The King, death to all politicians

on November 15th all the politicians involved within the major parties went on a hunting trip, however due to a few strings being pulled and 6000 very loyal men armed with guns they never came back only 1 of my soldiers were wounded and that was because he did not read the instruction manual for the gun and shot himself in the foot :eek: it was an outstanding victory and when word arrived of their untimely deaths...

nov22_1836_longlivetheking.jpg

and for some reason my econmy improved by £2 a day... :confused: ... oh well

LONG LIVE THE KING

Part 2

Part 2 - how i learned to only trust my enemies, or how i nearly died

1837 - a good year, for nothing to happen

all that happened in this first year of the king rulling all the people himself was the brokering of alliances with the warlords of Kokand and Nepal in preparations for the upcoming war.

1837kokandalliance.jpg

(i only took a screenie of this one)

The king then spent the winter and following spring picking a target for the first war of Shimlas liberation of india his options were limited, either the hated british to the south-east, the glorious allies to the North East, or the large free indian lands controlled by Panjab which borders the whole western side and most of the north and south.

June 1838 - a month of broken oaths and broken men or how not to declare war

June 27th Shimla declares war and orders her glorious army to do nothing apart from wait for the allies.

June 28th I the Shimlan king wet myself as all three messengers return saying that the other warlords had broken their oaths.

June_27_28_1838_screwed.jpg

i look at the figures of our war and others and was surprised to see a portugese V Zulu war (in my other games Zulu never are at war... and when they are it is because i want a foothold in south africa... or am playing as the Zulu).

1838_some_wars.jpg

Seeing the figures of our war i decided my best option was to flee to British india, my loyal army however refused to come with me those brave foolish soles.

July 11th 1838 - barbarians at the gates!

well not really, but 24k panjabians were with 27k more just around the corner who were going to take another week to arrive. in the mean time i was having a nice cup of tea with the British governor of "British Deli"

battlebegins.jpg

July 20th 1838 - a good day to die, a better day to drink tea and eat crumpets

News arrived on July 24th that our army was destroyed and my palace, which had just been finished was being stripped of its wealth and was going to be burned. i was horrified when i found out my grand army only managed to kill 1 enemy for every 3 of their own losses

death.jpg

I then asked the messenger about my diplomats to see if we could talk our way out, he said the stole all the guns and tea that was in the province and had ran to Tibet.

nopeace_littlehope.jpg

at this point i had given up all hope and was preparing to live the rest of my life in exile.

November 1st 1838 - you may march on my land as long as i can live on yours

Britian Declared war on china at some point before this and (because the AI is weird) decided it wanted military access to cross my lands... while their armies fought in burma. i accepted because i did not want to get on bad terms with britian... i might be living in british india for some time. . .

come_on_in.jpg

November 16th to 19th 1838 - learning my fate

on November 16th Simla, i.e. all the land belonging to the grand country of Shimla was fully occupied by Panjab, with the war 100% against me i waited to hear my fate. the next 3 days were lethal to me waiting to hear what was going to happen to my proud and valiant country, when on November 19th midday while enjoying another cup of tea a messenger from Shimla and a messenger from Panjab interrupted my drink and gave me a heart attack, they had decided that after almost 5 months of fighting and occupying my land... that... that... that... they were going to just give it back to me and not demand anything.

who_what_when_where_Im_alive.jpg

this surprised the British governor almost as much as it did me due to him not even realising we were at war, i had told him something about illiterates and how they annoyed me and therefore i wanted a summer vacation.

So next part... i return to my hut (as my palace has been raided and burned back to the ground) rebuild my nation and army and stare at Nepal... they will pay for that treachery and that tea my diplomats stole

now that i have done 2 parts is there any improvements people can think of?

i want to see how the Portuguese - Zulu war goes... so far Zulu is winning it.

June 28th I the Shimlan king wet myself as all three messengers return saying that the other warlords had broken their oaths.

they had decided that after almost 5 months of fighting and occupying my land... that... that... that... they were going to just give it back to me and not demand anything.

this surprised the British governor almost as much as it did me due to him not even realising we were at war, i had told him something about illiterates and how they annoyed me and therefore i wanted a summer vacation.

So next part... i return to my hut (as my palace has been raided and burned back to the ground) rebuild my nation and army and stare at Nepal... they will pay for that treachery and that tea my diplomats stole

now that i have done 2 parts is there any improvements people can think of?

You sir, are a genius.

Reminds me when I first played as Mexico and got smashed head on by US

Get those nepalese, you might have a chance this time (you do have british mil-tech or?)

I have no experience with Victoria, but first of all, it is a hilarious written AAR and I like it ;) ...furthermore, is there any possibilty to get an alliance with the UK and start on a killing spree before sticking a knife in UK's back?

Anyways good luck, I think it will be near to impossible to conquer India, but lets see how far you get :D

sticking anything in the UKs back is dangerous in its own right... late game the UK becomes more powerful than the rest of the world combined, i might try and get an alliance with the UK but it will probs be "impossible" without using a cheat, thank you for liking this, i have tended to find the best ones out there are gameplay with some sort of funny naritive alongside... oh and i think it is impossible to conquer india from my one little province... i might have to "share" it with the UK :p and then make some more india somewhere else but i will see what happens and one day i will have to fight the brittish

just wait a sec i will post my starting military tech... i can go back on the game and take screenies of the rest if wanted lol

and i am not that much of a genius... i misspelt inane in the title

Hmm... you certainly should have more tech than most of your neighbors although I always thought UK starts with more than this.

Well, if I can advise you, I would advise you to be as defensive as possible, built up your army (yo dont have any other point in pops anyways), increase relations with de brits, research medicine and wait. Then annoy nepal till it attacks you if possible, otherwise attack it but let them fight on your territory

And whatever happens... dont lose your humor! Because well... your nation has not much else it can rely on to maneuver it through bad times :)

the UK might start with more and it might be beacuse they released me as a un-civ :mad:

good news tho in the part after the next the army will be bigger than ever before!

as soon as i can afford it i will be building a fort ready for the next war

if a nation attacks me it gets a war goal for when it beats me... if i attack them then they cannot get a war goal until they occupy 1 of my territories (usually) however when the A.I. occupies all territories it auto peaces at the next opportunity with whatever wargoals it was after hence being this small is a benefit when losing aggressive battles.

humour is all we have left now, hope fades away a little in the next part... however there is a glimmer of hope of getting an alliance with the motherload of all evils... but not yet part 3 will be my next post, i am uploading the images as i type :D

Part 3 - swings and roundabouts, oh and a railway to boot

not much happened in the year of 1839, I the lord king fatrobin the insane (as the population now called him... oh and fatrobin is a place holder, any name suggestions please post them :D) had returned gloriously from British India, I had came with plans and new ideas. I had been taken in by the rail-road dream so on January 9th the king had started work on building a very expensive rail-road (£800 + extra for the resources needed) the strange thing was this rail-road went from the ruined palace to the British border, the claim was this was so the tea (grown outside the ruined palace) could be exported quicker however at the same time the palace was being rebuilt, no-one expected embezzlement of money. work started on February 25th and would not be completed for about 2 years (the king being insane was building it himself)

In march with the rail-road well under way the people forgot about all their problems as the war taxes were removed and thus life carried on being dull except for I the king who kept himself busy building the rail-road.

In June we offered the UK an alliance however when we got the "response" the next day we doubted it ever got to london oh well at least they are influencing us to put us in their sphere (protection and more likely alliance... yay)

1839influence.jpg

in September we re-arm our royal guard, turns out most of them did not die but instead hid in the mountains claiming they would rise up again once the enemy turned their back. and almost a year later in July 1840 we finally had bought back all the guns our diplomats stole and we had an army, and surprisingly we had 2 generals (1 i did not screenie but he was pretty bad)

general.jpg

a merciless sycophant... i feel sorry for those Tibetans already. our researchers at the war college reminded the lord king that they could make the army more professional in 2 years time, i remembered requesting it to be done 4 years ago and shot the poor professor and sent his body back with a note saying "hurry up" shame they could not read or write.

royalguard_research.jpg

in October of that same year I the lord king, now making a mountain more passable for the rail-way as i had finished the rail-way before and after the mountain, had been persuaded to encourage some money counters and bureaucrats so that we could tax the people more efficiently (strange tho not long after i switched to bureaucrats a local mafia started causing trouble (no screenie of the maffia sorry but i have one showing the bureaucrats)

beurocrats.jpg

In February the grand shimlan railway had been completed (2 days after the palace was finished) now all we need it a train... and someone who can operate one. I notice that there are enough soldier like people gathering at the opening ceremony for a new unit but am told there just are not the funds and so i had to wait a year :(

In June one of our worst nightmares had happened the UK had declared war on Tibet this meant we might not get our revenge and that we might just get squished between panjab and British India. the people crossed their fingers and prayed for a white peace, while cheering on the british whenever a diplomat appeared.

tibet_is_doomed.jpg

tibet_war.jpg

in october it was all over we were now sandwiched between Panjab and British India although i did feel sorry for nepal as the british decided to write their name over Nepal's.

tibet_gone.jpg

hey its Nep-ish India

in may 1842 we started work on our 3rd infantry which will make our army bigger than ever before, and we would need it now more than ever (although i would have liked to have seen them in the last war)

in July Panjab try and get me into an alliance with them, I look at them, i look at our friends Britain, and i send an apologetic letter back to Panjab saying sorry but we would not like to commit.

panjab_alliance.jpg

we_have_friends.jpg

and finally in august we got out first bit of research, a Professional Army

so what to research next?

below is the images with the list of options :D (p.s. i don't want more naval... that would be pointless :p)

army.jpg

navy.jpg

commerce.jpg

culture.jpg

industry.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it basically depends on how you like it.

Medicine is good if you want some population growth... not that its gonna make a difference though with 1 province

Industry and commerce... yea forget it

Some of the culture techs give you some great research boosts... not that its gonna make a big difference though (its hard to understand empiricism without literacy...)

The land techs are only useful if you want to fght someone. Against Britain they won't help and against Panjab, well, it will need a lot. However if you keep focused on land tech and army, you might be able to take on Panjab one day (not tommorow or the day after that though)

So my advice: take on these navy techs and build a river-dreadnought! That'll scare the Brits :)

Shimla! Shimla! I had seen the pink flag in the flags folder but I never thought I'd see that country on the map, much less with its own AAR... Sir, I salute you!

It looks like you've inherited all the techs the UK starts out with (including those very advanced and very useless naval techs). The standard research avenues in this situation are either ideological thought for the research bonus or medicine for reducing attrition and increasing population growth (and maybe getting a little prestige on the side). Positivism is also a nice option at this point in the game, though typically after ideological thought. If your king is really insane (and megalomaniac), go for the aesthetics techs (romanticism etc.).

a 1 province nation thinking of empircism is hard to understand too... i might be tempted with them anyhow as i could do with prestige and faster research (6 years for army professional was taking the biscuit) industry and commerce in my opinion we are pretty good at the moment hell the only reason we go into recessions is when i get more guns :p navy is pointless i have most of what i can currently get and without being in sight of the sea :( damn brits, why did you give me naval stuff to start when i wanted land and culture :( oh well at least i could be an unciv with steamers... eat that china :p military wise Strategic mobility might be best for me (extra fort level... when i get a fort) and the added defence... perfect for watching barbarians... i mean panjabians and british(i am british... oh ummm whoops :p) get massacred when they attack me. but yeah i should be in the british sphere soon so should be able to get an alliance and then kick some butt :D (as long as they don't turn down war... but what are the chances britian will turn down an easy war :p)

Selzro i did pick this country for a reason... it was not just because of the pink flag (looking at the flags... i might want to go fascist later (pink top white bottom flag with tiger on it) :D) but yeah i wanted an obscure little country to AAR as it means few wars and in some ways more fun :p (and no-one else will have done it)

but yeah i was thinking medcine and maybe a research / education tech but i will wait until morning (or tomorrow afternoon) before carrying on so i wanted suggestions :p and welcome to this humble thread :p

Part 4

Part 4 - 9 years of boredom, then our first conquest

intro, yes the title is correct there will be conquest eventually. for the majority of this part not alot happens just a little developing of my province parading my army but at the end there is conquest. my next part has already been played (i played both because i could not stop (you will see why :p) and by the time i finished playing i realised i had too much for one part (ok the next part is only 1 year but i did not want 9 years of nothing and then 2 years of fun as the split) so without further ado time for 9 years of boredom and trying to get a few laughs from lord king fatrobin the insane.

August 21st, after thinking about it i remember this strange thing called medicine from my visits to British India. i send off all my young doctors, of which 2 could read and 1 could write, to Britain where they could learn how to cure me, i mean the people. and off they went for their 5 year degree although i was told it might take them 2 more years due to their poor reading and writing.

1_medic_start.jpg

on November 1st i had the best idea of my life i was inspired by a dream to build a fort around the palace to better defend it in the future. on the 17th of November i thought i had enough, about 2 times the proposed cost, as i would learn on the 18th of February it would not be enough

2_loans.jpg

that was a whole lot of money, considering i started with over £2000 :wacko: however by November 27th 1844 i had finally managed to pay back the debt, but i kind of forgot to tell the people who were remarkably happy with the high taxes.

3_no_loans.jpg

and then nothing happened, the fort was being built, people paid taxes. I tried to set up my own religion but people just laughed at me and life went on as peacefully as possible. In April 1845 we were entertaining the ambassador of Afghanistan and he was telling me about some minor turmoil over in his country and how his country was intimidated by Panjab I announced that we were not afraid of Panjab. On the 27th he was to return to Afghanistan however he did say that his King and military leaders had agreed to offer us an alliance to mutually protect our borders against the evil Panjab king hell bent on dominating asia. and of course we accepted, I liked the Afghan ambassador he was a nice man, liked his guns too.

4_alliance.jpg

That November (1846) i was listening to news from my traders who had recently been to Portugal who mentioned that the Zulu, a south african tribe had been annex by Portugal. I liked Zulu they were plucky, they had fought and beat portugal before (and were winning the war they got annex in, they were occupying 2 portugese territories and still held one of their 3 when they got annexed, which i found odd...) we also found out that the UK was on extremely friendly terms with us.

5_friends.jpg

in January my Palace Fort had been completed. as you can guess i was pleased we could now hold onto my palace alot better than ever before.

6_fort.jpg

and as usual nothing really happened for a while, British india expanded at china expense into Yunnan. and by November my doctors had returned, still illiterate but claiming they knew all that was possible to know about medicine. I ask the military academy to get back to researching defencive research and so they started work on strategic mobility.

7_SM_start.jpg

in may 1850, yes we did noting for a year and a half, we taunt panjab a couple of times, later we would come to regrit this but we felt like we could beat anyone, and that the British would put us in our sphere and protect us (guess what, still not in the British sphere by the end of the next part, and that is where problems begin in the next part...)

after almost a year of not being declared on we ask britian for military access and go on a little expedition. Sikkim was allied to Bhutan, both nations only had 1 territory, and both only had 1 unit of 3000 men, easy picking. I chose Sikkim because Bhutan was allied with the British, lucky sods in my opinion. So on June 1st 1851 we declared war on Sikkim, chose not to bother the Afgans and Bhutan decided they wanted to live, i hoped they would join so i could humilate them but sadly no :(.

8_war.jpg

it was a short war, we destroyed our enemy for only a few losses but we did get some experience. and within 2 months we had annexed Sikkim, my general and commander of all my armies, one Bhim Shamsher Bahadur Rand, was deemed a hero, one of my other generals Bhim Shamsher Bahadur Rand stole this glory claiming it for himself, yes i have 2 generals with that name, one good... one awful.

9_victory.jpg

this region had about 10k people in it but we did not care, we were uniting india every little helped :p. i switch to soldiers back in my main region and then this happens.

10_ahhh.jpg

next part... the first year of this war... and me cursing the british policy on its sphere in india

If Afghanistan answers the call, this could be a fair fight. It looks like the Brits are influencing you just enough so they can kick out any other Europeans attempting to place you in their SOI or to intervene on your behalf if another civilized nation tries to annex you, but not with an intent to place you in their sphere - they like to do that with nations they think they might like to conquer one day.

Either that or they just can't spare the diplomat to add you to their sphere...

part 5

Part 5 - or how i learned to hate Great Britian

yes i will come to hate GB within this part, but more on that later firstly last time i forgot to mention Panjabs Goal in this war.

They are after my new conquest, the one that cost me 20 infamy and will stop expansion for many years to come.

1_wars.jpg

Firstly neither side got any allies joining in, the afghans who signed the mutual defence against panjab refused to help. so it was me and panjab, the figures showed that even though my army was outnumber over 6 - 1 that my army was the strongest. (Paradox forgot to tell the strength calculator that human wave tatics do work!)

I had sent 2 units of men back to simla, and kept 1 unit in my new conquest just encase of riots or something. so my first action of the war was to bring my troops over. the 6000 men were defending my palace valiantly however i knew they could not beat the 30000 men my enemies had summoned to the field, later i learned this was half their army a mistake that would cost many lives.

2_just_in_time.jpg

as you can see these men turned up just as all others were loosing hope however even with 3000 fresh men we still lost, i fled to a hut over in my other lands hoping panjab would not get military access of britian, and so far they have not.

3_honorable_deafeat.jpg

My men fled into british teritory and resupplied ready for the next attack, i chose Leh, the province to my north, and the sent their second army to fight me.

4_Leh.jpg

again weight of numbers took their toll, we killed about 10 - 12 thousand in that battle but i noticed just before we lost that the UK had removed our military access. i got them to give it back to us however they signed it the day my army was beaten. thanks to the UK all my men were slaughtered on the border. sorry about the lack of pictures i was too busy writing a stern letter to the whigs in london demanding 9000 troops. then when looking at panjab to see if i could get a white peace. i saw the UK had put panjab in its sphere... damn :(

5_i_hate_UK.jpg

now i am not saying that if my army survived we would have won, but every day that passed their army in simla got weaker and i could have beaten them after morale re-improved. however even then they still had a second army to worry about.

so yeah we got occupied, they demanded their target, i told them to come and get it, every day that simla was occupied increased the number of soldiers i could recruit :D. so this is the state of the war (with FOW turned off)

6_state_of_war.jpg

Panjab cannot reach my second territory as the UK have not given them military Access, i cannot recruit troops as all my soldiers are in the occupied land and the other province just does not have the population. the brits have 4 doomstacks but thankfully are not in this war.

for the moment i can hold out in-definatly so i am going to give some options
1) i surrender this province to panjab, it is almost worthless
2) i don't surrender and spend many years waiting for something worthwhile to happen
3) i cheat a white peace
4) i try and cheat the UK to sphere me and maybe join the war
5) i give up and start a new AAR :eek:

i know this part has not been too good, i lost my notes on it so had to do it from memory and what few pictures i had... i must have taken some accidental movies using fraps or something

I'd say wait eating some crumpets. Although they are probably burning that palace again. You might want to consider getting a mobile tent next time, maybe an elephant caravan or something similar.

You can of course just do everything to get soldiers in your other province. Time works for you here, at least until now

10k people in my other province... don't think i could get enough soldiers there to beat 30-60k soldiers... unless someone gives me machine guns :D, the odd thing is i have played a few other games in india (kalat and mugalstan (i.e. shimlas big bro ;) )) and in both of those the UK and then the afghans (smelling blood) have gone and reduced panjab to the region with their capital... if only that happened here it would have made my job alot easier :D